Small Starts for FamiliesTips and tools for kids from birth to early childhood
Little Changes Make A Big Difference
From snacking on crunchy veggies to adding a bit more movement to your day, find what works for everyone.
Parents & Kids
- Fiber—Everybody needs it!
- Fittest Food—The foods that are energy-givers
- Fuel Learning with Fruits & Vegetables— Healthy snacks kids love
- Guiding Stars—Hannaford’s® helpful rating system for smart shopping
- Healthy Favorites—A booklet with tips and recipes
- Nonfood Rewards at Home—How to reward children without sugar and fat
- Tasty Snacks for Healthy Kids—A handy list of what’s good for you
Keep TV/computer out of the bedroom. No screen time under the age of 2.
- “2” Brochure
- Active Video Games—All video games are not created equal
- Healthy Activity Booklist—Great books to get you moving
- Facts and Figures about Our TV Habits—
There’s something here to surprise everyone
- National Screen-Free Week—How to tune in to life
- Promote Healthy Viewing—Creating good habits around screens
- Reduce TV Toolkit—Facts, quizzes, ideas and answers!
- School Vacation—There’s always something to do!
- Take Control of TV & Other Screen Time—How to tame your television and other screens… rules and tips
Activities for physical fun
- “1” Brochure
- Fun Ways to Be Physically Active—It’s easier than you think
- Greene County YMCA
- Greeneville, TN Parks & Recreation Department
- Rural Resources Farm Day Camp (summer)
- Activity Tree
- Get One Hour or More—Tips on staying active
Yummy drinks without added sugar
- “0” Brochure
- Smoothies anyone?
- Drink Less Sugar—Quick tips to reduce your sugar intake
- Drink Your Milk—Take the milk quiz
- Drink Your Milk Answers—How did you do?
- For Growing Bones—What grade of milk is best?
- Have a Drink Plan—Review what you’re drinking
- How Much Sugar Do You Drink—How much sugar is in that cola?
- Milk’s Unique Nutrient Package—All you need to know about its nutrients and vitamins
- Think Your Drink—A chart showing the “fitness” of drinks
- Water Is Fuel for Your Body—Essential reading… and drinking!